I've been spending most of my classwork time playing with other Web 2.0 toys & am enjoying learning Moodle, creating my first wiki and reading and responding to the bulletin board discussions. Although I am sad that we have been divided into two groups -- I think it is really interesting to read the posts of all classmates. So far, I haven't been able to attend either of the Wimba sessions for this course but have everything off of my schedule November 5th, so I am looking forward to finally hearing my classmates' voices.
Now for class content... I am thinking about Howard Gardner this week and musing over how to teach lessons that allow various learners to use their "natural" intelligences. Exciting new educational technology might challenge traditional pedagogy and allow online educators to put some of Gardner's ideas into practice.
I wrote a bit about Interpersonal intelligence in my post to the discussion board this week. I think that discussion boards, wikis, and meeting software like Wimba are superb tools for allowing Gardner's "interpersonally intelligent" learner to engage the content in a way that is productive for them.
But blogs seem to feel more like the personal diary/ journal where the author writes traditionally private reflections. Although I realize that blogs can be easily made "public", the writing style of most blogs that I've read (outside of this class) are personal and sometimes confessional. The material is similar to what I would find in a journal instead of a class discussion.
I think that a blog might be a good tool for the "intrapersonally intelligent" learner to wrestle with new content in an online class.
The intrapersonally intelligent learners, according to Gardner, are:
self-reflecting, know their strengths and limitations and are very aware of their own moods, motivations and intentions.
I think that the blog is the perfect online tool for these types of learners to reflect on their coursework....
Saturday, October 25, 2008
Blogging & Gardner Intrapersonal intelligence
Labels:
blogging,
gardner,
intrapersonal,
multiple intelligences
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I think you make a good point that certain learning styles might benefit from reflecting on a blog. I'm not a blogger by nature, so I keep having to try and find something I'm willing to post about.
I have always had a tough time writing reflections. I have never been one to write a daily journal or diary - although I think it's a great idea and I have started many unsuccessful attempts. The attempts have always led me to my weaknesses - procrastination, lack of organization and poor writing skills, so rather than wallow in my limitations, I have always stopped writing....until the next attempt. I am in awe of people who manage to write personal reflections, whether in a diary or on a blog, and make it genuine, interesting and a learning, growing activity.
I enjoyed your comments about Gardner and have decide to do some investigation on my own. Thanks for the information!
Ty
After the WIMBA class last night I reflected on the wiki vs. the blog experience. This is my first time with both and to be honest I continue to be confused about the purpose and difference between the tools. I really enjoyed your post about the blog. It made me realize that although I am not one to journal by nature and like Ty even though I’ve tried journaling on several occasions I invariably give it up. However, at this stage of my life I am more willing to open up and show my vulnerability so I think that is why I am finding the blog experience to be much more enjoyable than the wiki exercise. Thanks for the insight and the references I’d like to learn more…
Post a Comment